Mango Creek Lodge’s spin-fishing guests wade Roatan’s saltwater flats and explore the mangrove canals and harbors in our 18-ft skiffs. Your guide will help you spot and stalk the saltwater grand slam of bonefish, permit, and tarpon as well secondary target species such as jacks, barracuda, snappers, grouper, and queen triggerfish. In addition, you can try your luck at passing schools of tuna, wahoo, sailfish, and marlin.
This is great fun for everyone. And what do we use for bait, you ask? Minnows and hermit crabs.
*** Make sure you gear up with the appropriate rods, reels, line,leaders, and tackle. But, we do have gear you can use, if you do not bring your own. And one of our fishing guides will be more than happy to catch live bait for you.
Rods: A variety of rods can be used in Roatan’s waters. Consider bringing:
- Light–Medium Light, 5.5–7 ft
- Medium Light–Medium, 5.5–7 ft
- Medium, 5.5–7 ft
- Medium Heavy, 5.5–6.5 ft.
Reels: Brings reels of 150 yd, 250 yd, 200 yd, 175 yd.
Line: Possible line varieties are 6, 8, 12, 12–20, and 15–25 lbs.
Leaders: Pack mono 60-80 lb & 100 lb for barracuda, 6–18-in wire, and 30–50-lb test.
Tackle for the Grand Slam species:
Bonefish are easily catchable on spinning tackle—especially if you tip your jig with a piece of dead shrimp. For bonefish, bring:
- Phillips Gaines wiggle jigs, 1/8 oz and 3/8 oz, in light tan, pink, yellow, olive, and white
- D.O.A. Shrimp (the smaller, the better).
The best bait for permit is a live crab, although some permit are caught on the flats with jigs. For permit, bring:
- Owner MUTU hooks 1 and 1/0
- Gamakatsu Octopus hooks 1 and 1/0
- Wiggle Jigs (see above)
- D.O.A shrimp, tan and olive, 1
- D.O.A. crabs, tan and olive, 1.
The best bets for tarpon are live bait. Very rarely does a tarpon pass up a struggling sardine. For tarpon, bring:
- Owner AKI hooks 3/0
- Gamakatsu Octopus 2/0
- Gamakatsu Octopus Circle 4/0
- Super Zara spook red/white and mullet
- Saltwater Rapala Fire Tiger
- YO-Zuri Crystal Minnow, black and silver
- Rat-L-Trap Mag, blue and silver, yellow
- Mirror Lure 52m, red and white, yellow, black and silver.